Sun Butter Stuffed Dates Topped with Granola
Is it me, or are dates a little underrated? Or maybe that’s just me, because they aren’t something we ever ate growing up. But I’ve recently re-discovered them, and I am in a MAJOR date phase right now, you guys.
They are sweet, but not too bold, and can be enjoyed on their own or dressed up! Plus, they pack a punch when it comes to nutrition – they are a great source of energy and are even recommended in the third trimester of pregnancy to help prep for labor!
Sun butter is also one of my favorite nut butters because I love sunflower seeds and anything to do with them (it’s that simple).
As I was craving an afternoon treat and was feeling sluggish, I decided to play around with the dates I had recently picked up to make something sweet that would give me the little pick me up that I needed. And while it is simple, I created something OH SO GOOD, and I can’t help but share it with you all.
One thing to note — you can switch out any nut butter or granola in this recipe. I like sun butter and happen to have the Toasted Coconut Granola from Trader Joe’s on hand, and it all paired together magically. But the beauty of dates is that they are so versatile, and will pair well with pretty much any nut butter or granola you might want to use.
Have you made these? Let me know what you think or any questions you have in the comments below!
- Pitted medjool dates
- Sun butter (or sunflower seed butter)
- Your granola of choice
- Using a kitchen knife, slice the date lengthwise on one side to open it up (but don’t cut it in half!).
- Using a spoon, scoop a nice glob of sun butter, and stuff it into the date. Make sure to get a healthy amount, but not too much to where it is spilling over the sides.
- Pinch the sides of the date so it closes up a bit and fills the empty pit with sun butter
- Grab a pinch of granola and sprinkle on top