Roasted potatoes are a classic and a staple in any home, and it’s easy to see why. They are so versatile – they can be used in any meal, and are the perfect blank canvas for so many flavors. But, I feel like it is easy to get into a rut with roasted potatoes because the possibilities are so endless. I was feeling that not too long ago, and then I got some fennel in my regular produce delivery box. Like, fennel? WHAT was I going to do with it?? Luckily, I also had some potatoes, and after a while it hit me that I should combine the two to jazz up our usual roasted potatoes. The licorice/anise taste is slightly sweet, which balances out the blandness of the potatoes, and makes them so tasty. They would be lovely with a great steak!
PRODUCE BOX APPRECIATION
While this recipe really is pretty simple – just toss all the ingredients together, roast, and enjoy! – I would be remiss if I didn’t give my produce box a shout. I have been really into getting a produce box lately because 1) COVID – it allows me to get the produce I am wanting and needing without having to go to the store, and 2) I’m very passionate about food rescue and reducing food waste (I used to work at a Food Bank and it left a lasting impression on me!), so I love, love, love the mission here. Plus? You randomly get things like a fennel bulb and it forces you to get out of a creative rut with cooking.
Roasted Potatoes & Fennel
- 1 Fennel bulb diced
- 1 lb Yukon potatoes cubed
- 2 tbsp. Olive oil
- 2 tsp. Coriander
- 1 tbsp. Oregano
- 1 tbsp. Thyme
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients and toss to coat evenly.
- Place the potato mixture on the baking sheet, and roast in the oven for 30 mins.
- While I used yukon potatoes, this would also be delicious with red potatoes or regular white potatoes.
- Enjoy on their own, as a side with your favorite meal, or put a fried egg on top for breakfast.